Our Beliefs & History

We are a multi-generational group of people who come together to worship God, study His Word, 

celebrate our life in Christ, and fellowship with one another on a regular basis. We want to share real

life with others searching to grow together in Christ as we reach the lost and broken in our community, 

city, state, nation, and around the world.

what we believe

People who attend our church come from many different experiences and backgrounds. Some come from varied church denominations while others come with no church or religious background at all. Suddenly, they find themselves at a Baptist church. What does that mean? 


A Southern Baptist church believes the Bible is its sole authority. And though each Southern Baptist church is independent, we summarize what the Bible's core teachings are in a short document called "The Baptist Faith and Message." Click the picture if you wish to read the document.

our history

Sandia Baptist Church was founded in 1959 as a mission church of First Baptist Church in Albuquerque, New Mexico.


In March of 1958 the Missions Committee of First Baptist Church, Fred Key, Chairman, recommended a five-acre site for their tenth mission. This five-acre site was located in the northeast part of Albuquerque. First Baptist Church held a Pledge Day on June 1, 1958 to secure $18,000 in cash and 6-month pledges. This pledge was to cover the value of the five-acre site. With the land free of debt, First Baptist would borrow the money to build a first unit building designed to hold 300 people, secure a pastor, and launch the organization.


On Pledge Day, June 1, $11,663.00 was received in cash and in pledges toward  the goal of $18,000. 255 families turned in gifts and pledges.


In June of 1958 names were suggested for the tenth mission of First Baptist. The selection committee chose Sandia Mission.


Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in early February 1959 for the first building of Sandia Mission. The contract was to Bradbury & Stamm for $59,073. Architect’s fee, furnishings, sidewalks and the balance owed on the land brought the total needed to about $71,000. A bank loan was secured from First National Bank for $62,500.


August 1959 the building had been completed. Sunday, August 30 was opening day. With 364 people in attendance for a standing room only service of praising and worshipping God, some people had to be turned away. 105 people joined by transfer of letter.